Since going vegan I’ve thought about ways I can still enjoy some of my favorite foods without feeling like I’m “missing out”. I LOVE Mexican food and decided to give a healthier spin on one of my favorite dishes – burrito bowls! For those who aren’t familiar with burrito bowls, they are basically burritos minus the tortilla. It’s a healthier version of a burrito. In the past I have used Morning Star Crumbles, but they aren’t vegan so I was on a quest to find vegan crumbles and stumbled upon Beyond Meat, a 100% plant-based protein that comes in the beef crumbles, chicken strips and much more! I decided to give this a try!
So to make this vegan burrito bowl you will need the following ingredients:
- Beyond Meat – Beyond Beef Crumbles (I found this at Publix. You can also check their website to see other locations.)
- 1 pack of Mushrooms
- Taco Seasoning (any kind will do)
- 1 can of Black Beans
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 2 Avocados
- 1 White Onion
- Sea Salt
- Garlic Powder (optional)
- Onion Power (optional)
- Cumin (optional)
- Bowl water and follow directions for cooking rice. Let that cook while making your meat and guacamole.
- Put a little olive oil in a pan and heat it over medium heat. Add one bag of the Beyond Meat crumbles.
- Chop up the mushrooms and put them into the pan with the crumbles.
- Let this cook for about 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer frozen and your mushrooms are fully cooked (they should be brown).
- This step is optional, but I added just a pinch garlic powder, onion powder and cumin – these are just my staple seasonings that I use for pretty much everything.
- Add your taco seasoning to the heated crumbles and mushrooms. Turn the heat to low and let the seasoning cook into the crumbles and mushroom mixture.
- While this is cooking be sure to check on your rice, stirring it as needed. Now it’s time to make your guacamole!
- Cut up two avocados, two roma tomatoes, one onion and cilantro (not pictured below). If your avocados are ripe but not soft enough to mash, you can put them in a food processor for a few pulses until it is smooth and easy to stir.
- Mix in your mashed avocado, tomatoes, onions and cilantro together. Add a few dashes of sea salt to taste.
- Heat the black beans in a microwaveable bowl for about a minute or so, depending on how hot you want them.
- Now you are set to build your burrito bowl!
- Rice, beans, meat, salsa and guacamole.
It was really tasty! My MIL loved it! My husband even enjoyed it as well – he’s a vegan and don’t even know it! LOL Please let me know if you try out this recipe. I’d also love to learn about new vegan recipes, so if you have any let me know 😉
Until next time…